The combination of businesses being required to temporarily shut down and people staying home has caused local businesses to suffer. Some of this will be temporary, but some business owners will be forced to shut down for good. The NGO’s is doing what they can in terms of financial relief and other initiatives, but that can only go so far and so long. ultimately its going to be upto us. the local communities and customers, to support these businesses.
Why Support Local?
Local business is essential for our economy, as a developing country. They bring growth and innovation to our societies at a larger scale. They provide employment and create entrepreneurship opportunities and support the local economies.
Most are feeling a financial strain right now and now worried about the future. But if you need to buy something, buy from your local vendors first. If you still have an income, try ordering from your local restaurants.
- Many restaurants are offering pickups and even free deliveries, but check for delivery options at places other than restaurants like Home chefs who are trying to make the both ends meet. Your local milk shop, clothing boutique, fruit and vegetable vendors may not have their usual storefront, but many are providing delivery.
- Share local restaurant delivery menus on your social media pages.
- If you still have steady income and the financial means to do it, continue to pay your house helpers, gardeners, bin collectors, vegetable and fruit vendors. They need us and we need them.
- Tip the service workers extra.
- Share hoarded sanitizers and supplies with local businesses.
- Just give a donation. Cash is always appreciated.
Order From Small Shops Online
Smaller shops and restaurants including home chefs now offer the opportunity to take advantage of services such as, FoodPanda, Eat Mubarak and many other platforms which allows residents to order groceries, take-away and other products locally which is a blessing for many in this lockdown. there may be similar services and apps available, like private suppliers that can help small shops reach more customers.
Spread The Word!
Not only could you shop locally, but you could also recommend shops and restaurants to your friends and family. It does not take much to leave a positive review on Google or Facebook. Like a local business or follow them on Instagram, but for those small vendors and businesses this can be very helpful.